Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Last Bits

I'm very pleased with the way my presentation went in class on wednesday. It was a very strange case when I was writing the final section of my piece. It just seemed to pour out of me, which sort of concerned me because I was thinking I'd finish it and then realize it wasn't what I'd wanted at all but ultimately it turned out well. I wasn't really sure what to do to create a sound world for the moon. But after thinking about it for a while I decided to give it a sort of static feeling both rhythmically and harmonically. I chose to do this because personally, when I look at a full moon on a clear night it totally traps my attention and holds it. Kinda spellbinding, actually. In terms of rhythm I put it in 3/4 time but tried to vary it so that there are never more than two or three consecutive bars that feel like 3/4. On the harmonic side of things, the whole section is based on two chords which consist of the notes of the 'c' and 'd' hirajoshi pentatonic scales. This sort of slow, bare-bones harmonic rhythm I feel did give me the static mood that I was going for.

I was also quite pleased with the comments I was given. In particular the one about the ending sounding somewhat unintentional. This comment gave me an idea of how I can still keep the detachment that I wanted but not have it sound like a mistake. Instead of having the pattern stop dead, I've made it so that the last notes are held just for an extra beat then silenced. So it's still detached but it doesn't lose the flow (ironically enough).

Just a couple more finishing touches, a rehearsal or two and this ship should be ready to sail!

No comments:

Post a Comment