Friday, November 13, 2009

Creating Cold

So for the past couple of days I've been turning my energies to creating cold sounds. I've come up with a neat idea or two out of it. Initially I was working on a phase shifting figure. It's melodically based on the whole tone scale and consists of four different patterns (it's a piano part). In the right hand the rhythmic pattern is a two-bar figure in 4/4 and the melodic fgure takes up 7 of those eight beats. The left hand part consists of another different two-bar 4/4 figure and the melodic material took six of the eight beats. So it wound up taking 40 or 50 something bars before it repeated. I thought it was kinda cool but it was a little static so I'm trying to see how I can incorporate parts of it in perhaps a more interesting way. I think in this section I'm going to use the cello for more of an atmospheric sort of element, perhaps using some extended techniques. We'll see what happens!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! Looking forward to hearing it. One thing that comes to mind is bowed vibe or wet finger on crystal wine glass… these sounds are sometimes associated with icy cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been thinking on different cold sounds that I can use. I feel like artificial harmonics on the cello might give a nice thin cold feeling also. I'll have to track down a cellist to demonstrate for me.

    ReplyDelete