Monday, November 16, 2009

It's gettin chilly in here.

Tonight I put the finishing touches on the middle section of my piece, the one depicting the stanza about the cold. I kept the phase-shifting idea that I had made a few days ago only I made it slightly less complex. It is still based on the whole-tone scale however, it mutates over time into a more dissonant and climactic end. In the cello I've decided to use artificial harmonics in imitative figures with the voice and also it outlines certain changes in the harmony of the piano, not to mention it adds an element of chill as well. The vocal line isn't consciously based on any particular scale, I decided to let it be a bit more free than in the opening section. Overall I'm fairly happy with it, I'm not quite sure how climactic it is, because ultimately, this is meant to be the most tense part of the piece. I'm just hoping I'm not putting it too far from the end. I think the next stanza of poetry will move faster though. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment